Sunday, May 31, 2009

NY

My post will be the first of the families about New York but probably the most boring because all the pictures are just places we went but most without people in them. New York has frankly always scared me a bit because everything I had heard about it was that it was a dangerous place to be. I loved New York so much I wish I could go back. I never felt uncomfortable or scared and there are always a zillion people around.

This is the statue in Rockefellar Center, The ice skating arena in the winter is just below the waterfall. The today show does there concert series in this area and while we were there Taylor Swift performed however it was raining and I didn't want to get up early enough to get a decent spot to see her. However while we were in New York Katie did get to go to the Taylor Swift concert here in SLC with Kays mom. Taylor Swift even walked right by her and said Hi to her. Katie was in heaven.

One day while Sarah and Kellie were sick me ,mom, brent and cindy walked all around SOHO and walked the Brooklyn Bridge. That night we went to Stomp! We were on the first row and it was incredible. We also made it to Wicked while we were there and I thought it was so amazing how well they sang and how funny it was, I recommend it to anyone who has the chance to see it.

This is the NYSE, they closed it to visitors after 9-11 unless you are invited in by someone so we just walked down Wall Street and saw all the huste and bustle.



This is Times Square my favorite spot. I didnt get that great of a picture but if you look really close you can see the ball they drop on New Years Eve. I had no idea that it stays there year round and even changes colors. While we were there the city shut down the area to cars and set up beach chairs in the middle of the road. You could just hang out in the middle of Broadway on beach chairs it was pretty cool. it also made walking in Times Square much easier. I cant imagine all those people smooshed onto the sidewalks. This is also where I picked up my knock off Coach and Kate Spade bags which I love.



The two pictures above are the Guggenhiem Museum. the architecture is pretty amazing.






This picture is for Bradley. Night at the Museum is his favorite movie and this is the Natural History Museum the movie is based off of.






The Statue of Liberty is also pretty amazing close up.

This is Ellis Island. I thought the statue was on Ellis Island however it is on Liberty Island. While on Ellis Island I was able to look up Marys husbands Johns father. He came to the US by boat in 1913. We were able to find the ships manifest with his own handwriting on it and print them off to give them to John. I cant wait to give it to him.



This is the site where the twin towers use to be they have since begun building the Freedom Tower so the area is really blocked off now and hard to see anything.


After 9-11 children began coming to the hospital right by the towers looking for loved ones lost in the buildings. They wrote on these little tiles thoughts of hope and peace and they have now hung all the tiles on these fences.


The Empire State Building. This is about all we saw because we saved going up in it until the last two days and then it was cloudy and rainy. At the top of the building on the observation deck the visibility was zero and they told us not to waste our money. But now we have something to go back for right?







The three pictures above are of central park. I had no Idea how big this park was or how pretty it was. In the middle of this huge city is this incredibly big park with small lakes and playgrounds, baseball fields and huge areas of lawn.
We walked around the park for several hours and were in awe of how wonderful it was. It was one week full of walking and walking and walking but so worth it and I cant wait to go back.










9 comments:

Ian and Kristin said...

I have only been to NYC once several years ago, but I loved it too! I want to go back so badly! I'm so glad you guys had a wonderful time!

Jen said...

It looks like you had a great time. I would love to go to NYC one day.

Sheryl said...

I guess I have always been like you. I have never really had any deep desire to go to NYC. Mostly because it is wall to wall people. I'm gald you had a good time. Maybe I will break down some day and give it a shot

Ang said...

I want to go back so bad after seeing your pictures! Nate and I had such a great time there too, it really is an amazing city. We didn't go see the statue of liberty so I have really wanted to go back and do that.

Did anyone get their picture taken with the naked cowboy????

Angela said...

Those were great pictures. Maybe I will go to NY someday. I'm glad you had fun.

Grandmajoann said...

Great pictures. I am so glad you all made it home safely. And I am glad that you had such a good time. I suppose with all the walking, you were able to eat anything you wanted to and not gain weight? I am sorry that Kaylan and Kane was not able to go. What a bummer for them. I am waiting for the next bunch of pictures from someone!

Allison J. said...

Your pictures make me want to go to NY so much! Glad you had a good trip!

staci said...

Great pictures! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Too bad the weather wasn't great for you to do the Empire State Building. I did that last time we went and it was cool. This time we did Top of the Rock (Rockefeller building) and it was REALLY cool! Watch for my pics on fb or my blog in the next couple days! Glad you liked NY. I love it there too. But, glad to be home and not crowded by buildings and people 24/7! ps-we saw Wicked too! What night did you go? We went on Tuesday night! So good huh?!

Evige said...

Good for you!! How neat to take off and tour for a week. Did you just love buying the knock-offs. Bargaining with those guys is the fun part.
Can't wait to see you at the RDH friend lunch at Melissa's.